- Carmel High School
- Principal's Communications
Posted by Jon Lyons on 11/22/2019
Good Evening Padres,
Since it is likely I will not send an email next Friday let me wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope everyone will spend some valuable time with family and friends.
The Week Behind
A huge congratulations to our Dance Program for the amazing Dance Show they recently put on. I was a great joy to see so many students doing something they are passionate about and showcasing their talents.
Our most recent grading period has now concluded and grades will be mailed home on Tuesday. This is a good opportunity to check in with your students as they round the corner and prepare for finals. If a student is in need of support, please do not hesitate to reach out to a teacher or counselor to find out about availability of office hours on Thursdays.
The Week(s) Ahead
On Tuesday December 3rd, CHS will be conducting a school wide training on the ALICE program to address concerns regarding violent intruder incidents. While not an enjoyable conversation, we have felt it is essential to have all students be aware of what to do if someone came to our school to do harm. Students will be given a presentation in a special 4th period by teachers who have been trained to deliver this information. Our video production class has created a short video to outline the ALICE process. That video can be viewed here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ntcWte91k and more info about ALICE can be heard here https://anchor.fm/padrecast/episodes/Episode-2---Safety--School-e7p90t. Our counseling staff will be available to students who demonstrate a sensitivity to this material but we feel it is essential for all students to be aware of choices they can make if this horrible event happened here. We will also review this material with parents at the next Padre Parent Meeting in December. I want to stress that CHS is engaged in our process and that it may be presented differently if you have children at some of our other schools. Each school will roll out the program in an age appropriate fashion. Please also refer to the district website and the superintendent’s special bulletin if you have additional questions. https://www.carmelunified.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=6935&dataid=22687&FileName=WeAreCarmelUnified%20September%202019%20Special%20Safety%20Edition.pdf
Carmel High will be celebrating "Giving Tuesday" on Tuesday, December 3rd (Tuesday after Thanksgiving) and we invite all students and Carmel High Families to participate.
We have lots of options for how students can give on Giving Tuesday:
- Bring a gift for the CASA gift drive (see attached list of suggested items)
- Bring food for our food drive for the Food Bank of Monterey County (see attached list)
- Donate spare change to the Red Cross (collection cans around campus)
- Make a holiday card for those away from home during the holidays. (Library)
- Make a blanket with This Club Save Lives (Room C)
- Donate a purse to Princess and the Purse
- Decorate a market bag (Library)
- Make a friendship bracelet (Library)
- Sign up for a beach cleanup or restoration project.
We will have bins for your donations in the breezeway and the library. Students can make cards, friendship bracelets and decorate market bags in the library at break and lunch.
Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement! Whether it’s making someone smile, helping a neighbor or stranger out, showing up for an issue or people we care about, or giving some of what we have to those who need our help, every act of generosity counts and everyone has something to give.
Additionally, The district's Parent Satisfaction Survey is now open at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CSGRLWL. We do this survey every other year to get input from parents that will guide our improvement efforts, including our Local Control and Accountability Plan. The district is committed to reviewing the results and reading every comment in an effort to better understand what is working well and what needs improvement. We want to hear from all of our parents, so please take a few minutes to complete the survey. Your opinion matters to us! Please complete the survey(s) by November 26th. Thank you
Padre Parent Corner
SUPER BOWL RAFFLE & PRIZES sponsored by Padre Parents
- Tickets $25 each or 5 for $100--All monies raised support our students
- Drawing Monday, December 16 (need not be present to win)
- YOU can SELL tickets to friends, family, work colleagues, neighbors
- YOU can BUY tickets and hopefully get a winning ticket
- Get tickets from Patricia Hunt in College & Career Center firstname.lastname@example.org or fax/mail in online order form www.padreparents.org
- Grand Prize :2 tickets to the Super Bowl in Miami, FL and $2000 cash plus 20+ other great prizes!
Amazon Smiles It’s getting close to the holidays and many of you may be shopping on-line. By visiting www.smile.amazon.com, your purchases will be benefiting our students.
It’s very easy to do by following these steps:
- Visit smile.amazon.com
- Sign in with your Amazon.com credentials
- Choose Carmel Padre Parents Club
- Start shopping and CHS earns .05%!
Students of the Month “Successful Individuals” for the month of October were recognized today with a treat from Padre Parents during break. Thank you to Miera Cacciola, Christina Moreau, Vivi Fenwick, Mona Calis, Emily Few and Deborah Kimes for helping out. A big thank you to Molly McRae for coordinating these wonderful events!
Sign up to help at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0845aead2ca31-carmel4