- Carmel Middle School
- Friday Email
Mr. Morgan's Friday Parent Newsletter - CMS
Friday, April 26, 2019
Posted by Cathleen Rice on 4/26/2019
Happy Friday CMS Families!
This has been a very quiet week at CMS as much of the time was dedicated to the English Language Arts section of the CAASPP Test. We’d like to extend our thanks to students and families for their efforts to arrive at school well rested, well fed, and ready to give their best efforts. As a reminder, testing continues next week with our 8th graders taking the Science test Monday through Wednesday and the whole school participating in the Math portion of the test on Thursday and Friday.
Please remember to plug in and charge up your Chromebook on Sunday night and every night next week so you have a full charge for the online test. Also, just a reminder, bring your own Chromebook compatible headphones for your convenience and comfort while engaging in any audio portions of the test.
The Test/Bell Schedule for Week 2 is attached to this email for your convenience.
E-Gaming Club Kicks Off at CMS: Many thanks goes out to our tech department including lead players, Poncho Naveja, Adam Rodriguez, and Mark Rodriguez for their work in setting up the first ever E-Gaming club at CMS. Through a generous PTO grant, CMS recently purchased a few gaming systems, flat screen TVs and a small collection of games students requested. Although we realize students are gaming a lot at home and on weekends, the idea of making gaming a social event where kids actually interact around the game (without headsets, etc.) seemed like a fun idea. The gaming club opened today and 20 kids showed up to game with friends, teachers, and our tech staff. Thanks again to everyone who helped get this program off the ground. We’re looking forward to the E-gaming club’s expansion into E-sports, E-tournaments, and even an exclusive, Girl Gamer’s Club next year (shout out to the one female gamer who showed up today!).
Traffic Reminder: As we wrap up the final 6 weeks of the school year we wanted to make sure to remind everyone to continue driving in a safe manner during drop off and pick up times at CMS. As you know, there is about a 15 minute window every morning and afternoon where things can get crazy so it’s important to drive slowly and carefully. A few reminders…
- Only pick up students curbside. Having your student walk through traffic to get to your car in the far left lane is not safe!
- Pull up all the way and as far as you can. This allows the cars behind you access to the curb, and their kids, and helps keep the flow of traffic working.
- Be careful of our crosswalk and our staff. We’ve had a few people blow through the crosswalk while students and staff were attempting to cross. In an effort to keep everyone safe, please be aware of the crosswalk and pedestrians.
- Drive slowly. Folks who go even a little too fast can really mess things up for everyone. Be patient and safe and it helps things proceed in a far more efficient manner.
MEarth Day Tomorrow! Our 7th annual MEarth Day is set for Saturday, April 27th, rain or shine, at the award-winning Hilton Bialek Habitat at the mouth of Carmel Valley. Join 1,000 of your friends and neighbors at our day-long celebration of sustainable living in honor of Earth Day! In the beautiful setting of our organic garden, LEED-Certified classroom, and native plant landscape, enjoy fun activities for all ages, sample some delicious food, bid in our silent auction, and learn more about MEarth’s long-standing commitment to environmental education for all of Monterey County.
PLANT SALE | Create a garden for pollinators and other local wildlife | Purchase native plants at our plant sale: edible + floral seedlings available, too!
ECO EXHIBITORS | Explore our outdoor exhibition area | Shop products and services related to renewable energy, conscious living, sustainable foods, local art and green products.
DIY SCREEN PRINTING | Make your own custom MEarth shirt or reusable bag | Silk screen MEarth’s logo onto your t-shirt or reusable bag, with MEarth’s mobile silk-screening gear!
SEASONAL FOOD + BAKE SALE | Enjoy an assortment of tasty treats from local chefs made with fresh produce from our garden.
KID HABITAT | Free Kids nature craft activities + garden explorations
LIVE MUSIC | Local musicians play all day long
SILENT AUCTION | Bid on 60+ items from local businesses in support of MEarth’s educational programs
$5 Admission at the Gate (Free Admission for Children 12 and Under)
ALL proceeds from this annual FUNdraiser support MEarth’s environmental education programs in Monterey County!
That’s all for this week… 29 school days remain!
27. MEarth Day, Hilton Bialek Habitat, 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
28. Big Sur International Marathon
1 - 10 CAASPP testing
5. CMS Film Festival Screening, CHS Theater, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
9. 5th Grade Orientation 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
9. CMS Open House 5:00 - 8:00 p.m..
10. Minimum day - school dismissed at 12:00 p.m.
14. CMS Spring Concert, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
17. Panoramic Picture - 8th Grade, 12:05 p.m.
18. CMS Music in the Parks
21. Honors Night 6 / 7th Grade 5:30 - 6:00 p.m., Gym
21. Honors Night 8th Grade, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Gym
22. CMS/ CHS Jazz Concert, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
24. CMS Renaissance Fair 12:00 - 2:45 p.m.
27. Memorial Day - school closed
28 - 31. Spirit Week
28 - 31 World Language Final Exams - Spanish / Chinese
31. 8th Grade Promotion Dance 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.
5. End of year Class Parties / Field Trips
6. 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony 5:00 - 6:30 p.m.
7. Minimum Day - Last Day of School , school dismissed at 12:00
Week_2_CAASPP.docx (12.8 KB)
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014