Assembly Bill AB 104 - Grade Change Information
Assembly Bill 104 Grade Change Information
July 30, 2021
Recent legislation, Assembly Bill (AB) 104, contains a provision that allows for parents/guardians and adult students to request that grades earned at the high school during the 2020-2021 school year be changed to Pass or No Pass. There is no limit to the number of courses for which a grade change may be requested. The changes will not be factored into the student’s GPA, thus the GPA will not be negatively impacted. There are, however, factors that need to be considered when making this decision.
- Replacing an F grade with a No Pass will remove the F from the GPA calculation
- However, students will still be held accountable for passing all required classes
- Replacing a D with a Pass may qualify the course for college admissions where previously it could not be used. This may only apply for institutions accepting Pass / No Pass grades
- List of Postsecondary Institutions accepting Pass / No Pass grades in lieu of a letter grade for admission
- Please be aware that some post-secondary institutions, especially those out of state, will not or may not accept Pass / No Pass grades for the purposes of admissions. Please refer to the specific institution’s admissions requirements.
Timelines and requirements (Please Read):
Parents/ Guardians will have 15 calendar days from the date of this notice to submit a request form. Deadline for submission is Aug. 14, 2021
The law prohibits school districts from accepting request applications after the deadline. Please make sure to submit by the deadline, as we can not accept late applications.
Carmel Valley High School Contact:
Direct all questions to:
Tom Parry, Principal -
(831) 624-1546 ext. 2890
Marcie Garvin, Principal’s Secretary -
(831) 624-1546 ext. 2891