Assembly Bill AB 104 - Grade Change Information

Assembly Bill 104  Grade Change Information

July 30, 2021

Recent legislation, Assembly Bill (AB) 104, contains a provision that allows for parents/guardians and adult students to request that grades earned at the high school during the 2020-2021 school year be changed to Pass or No Pass. There is no limit to the number of courses for which a grade change may be requested. The changes will not be factored into the student’s GPA, thus the GPA will not be negatively impacted. There are, however, factors that need to be considered when making this decision.

  • Replacing an F grade with a No Pass will remove the F from the GPA calculation
    • However, students will still be held accountable for passing all required classes
  • Replacing a D with a Pass may qualify the course for college admissions where previously it could not be used. This may only apply for institutions accepting Pass / No Pass grades
  • Please be aware that some post-secondary institutions, especially those out of state, will not or may not accept Pass / No Pass grades for the purposes of admissions. Please refer to the specific institution’s admissions requirements. 


Grade Change Application Request Form


Timelines and requirements (Please Read):

Parents/ Guardians will have 15 calendar days from the date of this notice to submit a request form. Deadline for submission is Aug. 14, 2021

The law prohibits school districts from accepting request applications after the deadline. Please make sure to submit by the deadline, as we can not accept late applications


Carmel Valley High School Contact:


Direct all questions to:

Tom Parry, Principal -

(831) 624-1546 ext. 2890


Marcie Garvin, Principal’s Secretary -

(831) 624-1546 ext. 2891