It is with great excitement that I welcome parents, families, and students back to the 2017-18 school year! I consider it a true honor to serve as your new Superintendent of Schools! As you probably know, my husband Steve and I have relocated to Carmel from the Chicago suburbs and are looking forward to getting to know you, your families, and our schools. While I have begun to meet many of you at Open Houses and school events, I hope in the coming days to be able to make even more connections as I attend various events or see you on our school sites. I know from my own professional experience that partnerships with parents and community members are crucial to supporting and growing a tradition of excellence and meeting the needs of all of our students.
Because I am new to Carmel and our school district, I am spending a lot of time learning, asking questions, and exploring all that we are and could be. During this first year, I hope to share with you some of what I am learning about US and OUR STORY. We are a district of distinction and I am excited to write about why I believe that is so and how we can build upon our strengths in new and innovative ways to benefit all of our children and their needs.
During our Welcome Back Breakfast for all employees, I shared a brief list of what I had discovered thus far about CUSD.
- A district with a solid, talented and stable Board of Trustees,
- A district with terrific teachers and hardworking, friendly classified support staff,
- A district with supportive parents and great students,
- A district that celebrates the beautiful diversity of our communities in our 600 square miles,
- An inclusive district that seeks to address the needs of all of its students,
- A well resourced district known for its excellent academics and wide-ranging opportunities for its 2500 students,
- A district that has historically been a huge supporter of the Arts, in part due to our community’s historic influence,
- A district that prides itself in being a “guardian” of this amazingly beautiful environment on the Monterey Peninsula, and
- A district that is a beacon of hope and opportunity for all!
I invite you to read my first edition of #WeAreCarmelUnified which captures some of my impressions from last night’s Open House at Carmelo, our preK program. Future editions will share other observations and experiences I am having as I get to know our schools and the wonderful opportunities available to our students. I also welcome ideas and testimonials from you about our district. Please don’t hesitate to stop in at District Office to say “hello,” or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My best to you and your family this school year,
Barb Dill-Varga, Ed.D.CONTACT
Ph: 831 624-1546
Fx: 831 626-4052
Confidential Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent
Ph: 831 624-1546 x2021
Fx: 831 626-4052RESOURCESUsername: policyPassword: carmel1