Good Morning CMS Families!
We had another great week at CMS with a handful of events worth noting.
- On Monday, we hosted a new student lunchtime social in an attempt to continue working on peer connections for students who are new to CUSD and CMS. Many thanks to Lisa Cosmas Hanson, our PTO, and our Leadership Class for helping make this event a success.
- On Wednesday, our PTO hosted the Cash for Cougars Pizza Lunch, one of the many prize parties associated with our recent fundraiser. Thanks to all who volunteered to set up and pass out pizza!
- On Thursday night, CHS was kind enough to allow us to borrow their beautiful Performing Arts Center and CMS hosted our first virtual concert featuring both the CMS Strings Ensemble and each of our choral groups. For those of you who tuned in, we hope you enjoyed the music! Our student performers were spectacular! Special thanks to Tom Lehmkuhl and Sarah Wadsworth along with CHS staff members Brian Handley, Brian Granberry, and Jeff McGrath for their help making this concert possible and for live streaming our event!
- Today, the CMS Leadership Class hosted another amazing Fun Friday event, a carpet square/beach ball race that drew a number of student participants. Thank you Mrs. Wells and the CMS Leadership class!
- In addition, the CMS Faculty All-Stars fielded their first wiffle ball team of the year, crushing a group of 10 students in front of a packed stadium at Wiffler’s Park.
- Finally, our amazingly creative library staff , Susan Thompson and Deonna Jeffries, collaborated with CMS science teacher, Pat Stadille, to host the first ever CMS Reptile Festival. Throughout the week exotic pets including Geckos, Bearded Dragons and a variety of turtles and tortoises were on display in our library. During lunch, exotic pet owners could choose to host an info/holding session for other students. Each day of the festival the library was buzzing with excitement as many students engaged in the Reptile Festival Activities. Thanks to all our students, families, and staff who participated in this event, creating yet another opportunity for creative engagement at CMS!
The Week Ahead
New Bell Schedule for CMS on Monday and Thursday (Begins Monday, Sept. 27th)
CMS is currently in year two of a pilot advisory program using the Character Strong curriculum. As we evaluate the program and try to determine an optimal schedule to support this program while maintaining our commitment to academic excellence we may need to adjust the schedule throughout the year to try out new ideas. After using the program for 6 weeks we have determined that it is time to make an adjustment to our schedule to accommodate Character Strong in a different spot. The key component of this decision has to do with Character Strong’s original placement on Thursday, our minimum day. Classes are already shortened on Thursdays, and, with the addition of Character Strong on the Thursday schedule, our staff felt that Thursday’s academic periods have been too brief to engage in content at necessary levels. In an effort to remedy that situation we have opted to move our Advisory period to Monday, effectively balancing our bell schedule to include two days of 45 minute classes (Monday and Thursday) and three days of 50 minute classes (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday). We also believe that shifting the advisory period to the beginning of the week may have social-emotional benefits as well, allowing students to begin the week by meeting with their advisory groups. The new bell schedule for Monday and Thursday is below. Bell schedules on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday remain the same.
|Monday: Advisory - 45 minute classes
Period 1 7:45 - 8:30
Period 2 8:35 - 9:20
Break 9:20 - 9:30
Advisory 9:35 - 10:05 (30 Minutes)
Period 3 10:10 - 10:55
Period 4 11:00 - 11:45
Lunch 11:45 - 12:15
Period 5 12:20 - 1:05
Period 6 1:10 - 1:55
Period 7 2:00 - 2:45
|Thursday - 45 minute classes
Period 1 7:45 - 8:30
Period 2 8:35 - 9:20
Break 9:20 - 9:30
Period 3 9:35 - 10:20
Period 4 10:25 - 11:10
Lunch 11:10 - 11:40
Period 5 11:45 - 12:30
Period 6 12:35 - 1:20
Period 7 1:25 - 2:10
Upcoming Event: Inktober - Open to ALL CMS Students
Inktober is here and we would like to invite any and all folks with any desire to hang out and draw with your peers to join the Inktober crew. The ultimate challenge is to make 31 drawings in the 31 days of October. You might be thinking, "Do I have to draw every single day?" The answer is NO, even if you can only participate one day a week we would love to have you join. You can participate as little or as often you like. You do not have to have any drawing experience, the only requirement is a desire to draw and enjoy the virtual company of your peers. Even if you can not attend any meetings you can still participate by posting on our daily Padlets where we will be sharing our work. If you are interested in joining Inktober please join google classroom by using the code "odfzspk" We will be meeting everyday in the library to share of love of art and drawing. Come join us!!!
For inquiries about Inktober please contact Mr. Joe Guzzi at email@example.com.
Come Join the CHS Homecoming FUN!
The CHS annual Homecoming Parade will be Friday October 1st at 4pm in Downtown Carmel. We’d love to have our families come line the streets and cheer on our CHS students as they march Ocean in the annual parade. This year CHS has partnered with the Carmel Chamber who are working with local businesses to "Get the Red Out" so we are really hoping for a great celebration. Show up in red, CHS or CMS gear, or, if you’d like to join in, CHS has partnered with the Carmel By the Sea Chamber of Commerce to sell RED "Local Love" T-shirts for sale that you can get at a CHS MIXER at Shearwater Tavern on September 29th or by stopping by our Visitor Center! www.carmelchamber.org
The CHS Homecoming game is on Saturday with JV at 11:30 and Varsity at 2pm. Tickets will be sold at the gate.
CUSD Opens Weekend/Holiday COVID Hotline: Weekend COVID Response Line
Beginning this weekend (September 25th/26th) CUSD will institute a Weekend COVID Response Line monitored by a CUSD Health Aide Contact Tracer between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday. Please use this line to report a COVID exposure, or a COVID positive test result, or call if you have a question about whether your student may return to school.
- To reach the Weekend COVID Response Line, please call (831) 620-8100 and leave a message and the Health Aide Contact Tracer on duty will call you back. This phone number is not active during the week.
Please note that the Weekend COVID Response Line is only active on weekends. For questions or reports regarding COVID during the week, please call your school site’s main number to be connected with a Health Aide Contact Tracer. If you do not receive a call back over the weekend, call your school health office as soon as possible on the next school day.
Fall Sports Matches and Meets for this Week:
Monday - September 27th
6th Grade Girls Volleyball - POSTPONED
Tuesday - September 28th
Boys Soccer vs San Benancio @ CMS 4:00 p.m.
Girls Soccer vs San Benancio @ San Benancio 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday - September 29th
7th Grade Girls Volleyball vs Buena Vista @ CMS 4:00 p.m.
8th Grade Girls Volleyball vs. Buena Vista @ CMS 5:00 p.m.
Thursday - September 30th
Boys Soccer vs Buena Vista @ CMS 4:00 p.m.
Girls Soccer vs Buena Vista @ Buena Vista 4:00 p.m.
Friday - October 1st
Cross Country Meet @ CMS 4:00 p.m.
ALTERNATE HOUSING FORM - In the event of a natural disaster such as fire, flood or earthquake or an emergency such as a sudden road closure while your student is at school, your student or your family may need alternate housing. This is a very important emergency preparedness form please take a moment to complete it today
CUSD Emergency Assistance Team
CMS Events and Important Calendar Dates
29. Picture Retake Day
5 - 6: Fall Conferences
5. Minimum Day -Block Schedule - (Periods 1,3,5,7) School dismissed at 12:15
6. Minimum Day -Block Schedule - (Periods 2,4,5,6) School dismissed at 12:15
11 - 15. Fall Break- No School
25 - 29 Red Ribbon Week
29. Halloween Dance or Event
5. 1st Trimester Ends / 6th Grade Cycle Change
11. Veterans Day - No School
22 - 26. Thanksgiving Break - No School
1 - 15. Canned Food Drive
7. CMS Winter Concert 7:00-9:00 p.m.
13. World Language Finals - Spanish / Chinese
20. - 31. Winter Break
3. No School - Staff Development Day
7. 6th Grade Cycle Change / PE Flip
17. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No School
28. Winter Dance 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
4. Minimum Day - Staff Development
14 - 18. Kindness Week
18. 2nd Trimester Ends / 6th Grade Cycle Change
21 - 25. February Break
28. 3rd Trimester Begins
30. CUSD District Band Festival, Sunset Center 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
1. Minimum Day - Staff Development
5. CUSD District String Festival , Sunset Center 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. 8. 6th Grade Cycle Change
11 - 15. Spring Break
2 - 6. CMS Staff Appreciation Week
6. Minimum Day - Staff Development
10. CMS Spring Concert
11. 8th Grade Panoramic Picture
20. Renaissance Faire 12:00 p.m.
23 - 27. Spirit Week
30. Memorial day - No School
2. 8th Grade Promotion 5:00 p.m.
3. Last Day of School / 3rd Trimester Ends