As part of our counseling guidance curriculum, all students receive instruction in personal/social, career, and academic areas at the grade levels indicated:
Character Education: Character Counts Program
Character Counts Program includes: Lessons in each classroom targeting character pillars of the month (TK-5)
Character Pillar Assemblies
Character Pillar activities during Family Fun Fridays
August- Kelso's Choices
Kinder Trustworthiness / Personal Body Safety - Books:The Bubble Wrap Queen (Counselor reads) and My Body Is Mine (Teacher reads)
Grade 1 Parents, please click here for more details on lesson Trustoworthiness/Personal Body Safety
Grade 2 Parents, please click here for more details on lesson Trustworthiness/Personal Body Safety
Grade 3 Parents, please click here for more details on lesson Trustworthiness/Personal Body Safety
Grade 4 Parents, please click here for more details on lesson Trustworthiness/Personal Body Safety
Grade 5 Parents, please click here for more details on lesson Trustworthiness/ Personal Body Safety
Healthy Lifestyles (Red Ribbon Week- Last week in October)
- TK-5- Lunch time recess activities during RRW, led by PAL students
- 4th and 5th grade students attend a CMS Leadership Assembly at River School,
promoting healthy lifestyles/anti-drug
River School is a BULLY FREE ZONEPersonal Safety Lessons- Built in with Trustworthiness Pillar, lesson are given in all classrooms in September-please scroll up to the September lessons for more details on trustworthiness and safetyConflict Resolution Program: Kelso's Choices- lessons in all classrooms in August)Popular lesson topics throughout the year:
* 1st Grade FEELINGS: identify feelings andcreate books about their own feeling experiences.* 2nd Grade FRIENDSHIP AND RESPECT: how to get along withothers in all settings, respect and embrace oursimilarities and differences.
* 3rd Grade GETTING ALONGcommunication skills, review of friendships and apositive approach to conflict resolution.
* 4th Grade BULLYING AND RUMORS: identify behaviors
and personal attitudes or characteristics that serve to
build or block friendships and group cooperation. The
concepts of diversity, tolerance, and acceptance areintroduced. Information on bullying: what it means,how to handle situations and our roles andresponsibilities.
* 5th Grade SCHOOL SUCCESS and GOAL SETTING
explore career interests and options,
identify primary learning styles, experience goal-
setting through a long term time-line activity, and learn
strategies for academic success in the present and in
support of their transition to middle school.