"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Albert EinsteinWelcome to the elementary ART program for Carmel Unified. My name is Terri Woodward and I've been sharing my love of art and teaching children for number of years. Our three elementary schools, River, Tularcitos, and Captain Cooper share an enriching art program as part of their growth and learning. As the students grow through their elementary years they master greater skills within an array of art lessons. The progression grows within the lessons that challenge each grade level yet allows room for self expression. Every class from kindergarten through fifth grade has the opportunity to view famous works of art and discuss the history behind the works and the artists. With each visit to the classroom students enjoy the hands-on experience of creating their own masterpiece in the style of the art studied that day. In addition to introducing famous works of art and artists, the program focuses on but is not limited to:*portrait, landscape, still life, fantasy
*abstract, surrealism, impressionism, modern
*line, shape, color, value
*texture, style, technique
The principle goals of this program are to encourage children to:
1. LOOK at art and be INQUISITIVE about it.
2. FEEL "comfortable" with art and ENJOY it.
3. LEARN the fundamentals and vocabulary of art.
4. THINK visually and ANALYZE what they see.
5. BECOME familiar with famous art masterpieces, artists and art history.
6. BUILD knowledge and appreciate different cultures, artists, and styles.
7. EXPLORE various mediums from clay to watercolor to oil pastels.
8. CREATE works of art with confidence and pride as they develop their own natural talents and
understand that there is no "wrong" in art.Links I appreciate:Why the arts? http://youtu.be/1M5hs6ahcKUWhy is art important? http://youtu.be/A7n-EXobxzE"Every child is an artist" - Pablo Picasso
Last Modified on August 6, 2018