Comprehensive Sexual Health Education
California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA)
California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act, requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school and once in high school, starting in 7th grade. Instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age‐appropriate and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about the value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations
How can I view the curriculum materials?
You can view written instructional materials and the CA Healthy Youth Act (California Education Code Sections 51930‐51939) at your child’s school in the main office.
Who is responsible for teaching the curriculum?
Instruction will usually be provided by CUSD’s high school health teacher to our 7th grade and high school students. Schools and teachers may partner with other organizations to deliver instruction. Please contact your child’s teacher for more information about instructional delivery.
Can I opt my child out of the curriculum?
State law allows you to excuse your student from this instruction. If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health or HIV prevention education, 7th Grade - please send your written request by letter or email to Dan Morgan, Principal CMS. CHS please send your written request by letter or email to Leigh Cambra, Health Teacher - CHS.