Band and orchestra are offered to our 4th and 5th grade students.
In the fall, 4th and 5th grade students receive a 4 week unit in their weekly general music class on woodwinds, brass, strings, and percussion prior to participating in band. This will give students the information to choose which instrument fits them. At the conclusion of this unit Mrs. Barca-Hall will host a Back to Music evening where parents will get key information about the program and students will be matched up with school instruments.
What instruments can I play? Violin, Cello, Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion
Does your student want to play something not mentioned?
Take private lessons! Just remember the following:
- Percussion students (drums) must have a background in piano- no exceptions.
- All double reed instruments (oboe and bassoon) and French Horn are welcome but students must have private lessons.
- If your student is interested in low instruments (bass clarinet, tenor/baritone saxophone, tuba) Begin on their relative basic instrument (clarinet, alto sax, baritone)
How do we decide which instrument?
Always give your student their choice. Let them try a new instrument, if the first isn’t their thing students can always switch instruments mid-year. Other things to consider:
- Flutes are the hardest to start
- Clarinets are the easiest to start and the most like a recorder, but they get harder at the end of the year.
- We always need LOW brass: baritone and trombone.
- We only have one saxophone and it is given to the most advanced clarinet player that would like to learn sax.
- Future scholarships: baritone, trombone, bassoon, clarinets, French horn, are less popular and universities give out more scholarships for these instruments